Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer tiiiiiiiime

And the livin is easy...

Well relatively easy, at least. I started my Summer Camp on Monday, and that's been going pretty well. I come in to school in the mornings (lately drenched in sweat) and get into my classroom and set the airconjuseyo on ICE AGE. Then I slime down towards the teacher's lounge and begin my morning struggle with the copier machine.

I swear, human life would be made so much better if we just destroyed all the copy machines in existence.

This particular model likes to make about 3 copies before it decided to make those folded paper fans (you know the ones you'd make in school, to pretend you were fancy Old South old money? And fanned yourself on the po'ch? While "pretending" to sip mint juleps? No? Just me?). And then I have to stick my hand in the burning hot copier to try to unjam the damn thing. Which usually results in the paper tearing and creating a new jam. So the unbearably frustrating cycle continues.

My childhood fantasy.

But then it's time for class, and lately the classes have been going pretty well. I think it's partially because I don't have great expectations for the class, and there's really no pressure, so we can just have some fun. But it also may have something to do with the ease of the lessons - there's plenty of stuff for the kids to do, and they seem mostly willing to do it. But the biggest plus to the summer camps is that I have a (different) coteacher who will actually help translate directions! It's so nice to have that assistance in class.

And after about three hours of teaching, I have...nothing. My day is over. Well, over except fotr the fact that I have 5 more hours of SITTING AT A DESK until I can leave. So I have been watching teevee. A lot of teevee. But guys, there's only so much of this I can take...I can feel the craziness coming over me. Pretty soon, it's gonna get REAL in here.

Bored now.

So anyway, mostly I think I'm going to practice some impossible feats, like flying. Or kissing my own elbow. Or advanced calculus.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Folded paper fans, yes. Yes, yes.

    My copy machine, however, has recently moved on from paper fans to some combination of origami and scherenschnitte. When I'm really lucky, the final product also comes out slightly singed, with a not-so-subtle bitter aroma. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete