Sunday, August 1, 2010

Wedding Update (For real)

I suppose I'm at that age. My current total is: three weddings in the last year, one engagement, and several other long-term committed relationships. Wedding season has arrived for my peer group, and this summer, I got to spend my summer vacation travelling back to the States to be best man in one of my closest friends' weddings. Naturally, this involved approximately 6 years of travel through three different countries, using buses, planes, trains, and automobiles.

What I'm trying to say is, it's not easy getting to and from America. Especially getting to America. A journey that took me approximately 24 hours, from Seoul to Tokyo to Atlanta and finally National Airport in DC left my brain in a puddle of goo. But I suppose that's what happens when you leave Tokyo Narita airport at 3:30pm and arrive in Atlanta at 4:30pm ON THE SAME DAY. Time travelling sucks. I do not recommend it (unless you're trying to become your own grandfather. I suddenly understand how that one can happen).

The wedding itself was great. Three days of parties and a fantastic ceremony, combined with most of my friends from college and a brief visit to DC made for a wonderful break from reality in Korea.

Well, wonderful and a bit melancholy. Knowing it all would end VERY soon and I'd have to leave these people who'd come to be a second family for me during college...well, let's just say that I miss those misfits like crazy. Homesickness and nostalgia aside, it just feels somehow "right" when I'm back in DC. So maybe that's the place I'm supposed to be? I'm not really sure...I like travelling, and I love seeing the world. And I think that for right now, it's just nice to know that I still have a place (well, at least a futon to crash on) back in DC, should I need it. And every once in a while, I think it's good to go back to the familiar and remind ourselves where we came from.

Weddings, too, are always a weird time for me. There's nothing that really shoves the fact of my single-ness in my face more than a wedding. As much as I love the weddings, and as happy as I am for all my friends who have found that Special Someone (gag me with a spoon), I always feel just the teeniest bit resentful toward them for it. Mostly, though, I feel like WHY DON'T I HAVE A RELATIONSHIP YET??? I mean, I'm kind of pretty, and pretty damn smart. I like romantic things like music and art!

And then I take a step back and tell myself to stop being ridiculous. So here's to you, J & C...it was a great time, and I can't wait to see you again as Old Marrieds. And here's to all my other Old Marrieds (L & P, R & M), I hope you have all the happiness in the world. And J & J, I'm looking forward to your wedding. In several years.

And who knows? Maybe one day, I'll be able to have my own wedding (in DC, at least). Till then, here's to some great parties to come.

Oh and here's the actual wedding: Pittsburgh + Catholic + Money Dance = awesome.

4 comments:

  1. >BIGGEST HUG EVER<
    I feel the same way too sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading things like DC is your place...come crash on my futon any time. While you're still adventuring overseas, I shall try to meet a number of eligible bachelors to introduce you to when you come back to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was an honor to have you as part of our big day. All the best to you back in Korea. And don't worry, someday, your time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it makes you feel any better, I just discovered your blog and it is GREAT. Well done, sir. Well done.

    ReplyDelete