Monday, August 30, 2010

Gettin' my re-ward!

Sometimes I take a look at my life and wonder how on earth I could possibly be a functioning adult. And then I look at my fridge and realize that generally, no. I am not, in fact, a functioning adult. More like a semi-functioning teenager.

The ridiculous thing about my fridge is that I actually really like cooking. I just hate grocery shopping. Especially when I have to carry it all back home by myself.

But sometimes, I can manage to work up just enough energy to actually make an effort to Do Things Adults Do. Like today, for instance. After trudging into work this morning, grumbling about the two days I thought I had to spend in my classroom doing nothing, I was told around lunchtime that I actually did not have to come in either today or tomorrow - in effect, I had two days' vacation before school started.

Let me tell you, two surprise days off is a pretty good motivator to Get Sh*t Done.

After coming home, I realized that I had quite enough time to actually run some bank errands that I normally put off as long as is humanly possible because the bank is effing FAR from my school and I have to take personal vacation hours to go do these tragically necessary errands.

ANYWAY. I got home, grabbed my bills, and slimed off to the bank (side note: I am over humidity. You would think I would have been over it after nigh-on 21 summers in the south/Gulf Coast, but I would give ANYTHING to have those back after this horrific summer). So I went to the bank, fought with the ATM, paid my bills, and withdrew the cash to transfer to my bank at home. After going to a different bank, since all the branches of my bank in my town conveniently do not transfer money overseas, I successfully completed the transfer of money, so now I am all set for Bank Errands for the next month. And all in just under an hour!

Of course, because I was such a Successful Adult, I determined that I needed a reward. Because that's how I motivate myself to do adult things like grocery shopping or going to the bank: rewards.

I feel that this only supports the thesis that I am more a mildly functioning teenager than a fully functioning adult.

It's mah re-ward!


So I stopped at the Paris Baguette on the way home from the bank, and grabbed myself a delicious nectar of the gods, the Peach Iced Tea. I will probably curl up into a little ball and die when they discontinue this stuff for the winter. But sometimes it's not just peach iced tea! Sometimes it's a snickers bar, or even a pizza! It really is a very healthy system I have in place.

There you have it folks. My admission that I am really not this fabulous, successful, well-adjusted and put-together person you all are convinced I am. I have to bargain with myself to do even the simplest tasks, like going to the bank. It's a little ridiculous, and a trend I do not see reversing itself any time soon. Ah well. Time for more cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment