Thursday, May 27, 2010

A writing post

Alright kids, I'm about to do that annoying bloggy thing that bloggers do and just write because I haven't posted in a while, so you are free to leave at anytime. I will not keep you here.

OK here goes.

One of the things I want to do while I'm over here is improve my writing skills, so I've been trying to write every day. Most of the time that ends up over on my tumblr account (shameless plug GO!), but I haven't actually done the greatest of jobs. It's not that I don't have a lot to say, I just don't always have the chance to write it down immediately. Or the humorous spin I put on it in my head. And then when I do sit down to write, I got nothin. Kinda like now! The difference is that now I'm writing. And I'm going to write just to write until I come up with a storyline or I get REALLY bored. WHO KNOWS WHICH WILL HAPPEN FIRST? STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT.

OH one thing I should probably mention for all you folks there out of Korealand...the whole, y'know, war thing that's going on. It all started (as each and every one 'a youse should know) with the sinking of the Cheonan about a month ago that took the lives of 42 of her crew. Through a prolonged investigation (and it's important to remember that this investigation to the cause of the sinking did take a month), it has been demonstrated that the most likely cause was a North Korean torpedo. Following the official declaration from the South Korean government (which itself came several days after the independent, international investigating committee announced its findings), much ado has been made about the escalating tensions between the two countries, with people concerned about this getting LEGIT. Possibly too legit to quit.

The first thing you should understand, though, is that these two countries have been at war for very nearly 60 years. Incidents like the sinking of the Cheonan have happened before, and will very likely happen again. There hasn't been a serious escalation of the conflict stemming from any of the previous incidents, and there's no real reason to believe that will happen now. What is most likely going on is that Kim Jong Il is making a show of military force to ensure the backing of his generals during the transition of power from him to his son.

Look, it's kind of a mistake to simply write him of as an irrational, unpredictable crazy person. You don't rule a country for thirty plus years through some SERIOUS natural disasters if you're completely bonkers. He is an eccentric, for sure, but he also knows what he is doing...it's really not in his (or China's, or Russia's, or South Korea's, or Japan's, or the US's) best interest to take this conflict any further. He knows just about how far he can push the international community without putting in SERIOUS jeopard his hold on power. Sanctions he can deal with - when things get bad in a couple years he can just agree to more nuclear dismantling talks for some lifting.

The second thing to consider in all this is the reaction of South Korea. Obviously it can't go unnoticed - that would be a terrible injustice to the families of the victims. It's also election season (on the local level, regional councils, mayoralties, and governorships up for grabs), and the ruling GNP are facing serious disenchantment with their policies. That combined with popular sympathy for the late president Roh Moo-hyun of the DP (who killed himself approximately one year ago following what is widely perceived as an overzealous investigation of corruption charges led by the GNP) mean they (the GNP) need to find some wedge issue to bring voters back to their side. A strong response to North Korea would be just the thing.

Even then, it's not likely to go beyond UN sanctions, severing the small ties built with the north, and increased military posturing...and that's very likely where all this will end. So you guys needn't worry. Yes, I have registered myself with the US Embassy here just in case. But I am fairly positive this will all come to nothing.

Yikes this turned into a more serious and subject-oriented post than I had initially hoped for. Sorry guys, you came for incoherent ramblings and instead got an uninteresting rehash of Current Topics in Foreign Policy. My bad.

Now I feel pressured to come up with something funny for you guys...but I got nothin. Whateva. I'm done. I'll write something funny later GOD STOP PRESSURING ME INTERNET!

OH here is an amusing link to keep you all occupied. Hyperbole and a half. She is hilarious.

1 comment:

  1. soooooo this is totally NOT what I envision from a Mandatory Sex Party...though I do feel slightly raped by your knowledge of foreign policy (and by raped I really mean relieved by finally having heard a better explanation of events over there that doesn't end with "crazy" Kim blowing you sky high!)

    ReplyDelete