Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On buying clothes in Korea

For those of you who have known me for a long time, you know that I used to be a much bigger guy than I am now. For comparison, then:


The thoughtful English major

And now:


The grossed-out English teacher

You can see, a drastic change, but it's not like I'm some tiny waif these days.

So this weekend, I needed to grab a new pair of jeans for reasons that are much lamer than you might imagine. I was in Pyeongtaek, and some friends of mine showed me this really nice little shop that basically sold nothing but denim (and some shirts, but it was basically a jeans bar). I walked in with my friend and the shop owner greeted me and asked what I was looking for. So I told him I needed a pair of jeans and he asked my size as I began rifling through the styles on display. I said "I'm a 34 in US" and he looked at me and quickly said "No, 32." Miffed (because I'm pretty sure I know my own size, thank you very much), I said "No, I'm a 34." And he responded "How about you try a 32?" So I decided what the heck, I'll just put them on.

AND THEY FIT. Seriously, this guy is MAGIC or something. It was amazing! He took a look at me and he knew my size! This was doubly exciting because I'd been shopping for a few new cardigans and whatnot the past week, and having no luck because my torso is apparently just inhumanly large for this country. Who knew? But now I have pants! And life is good.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just going to throw this out there, but retailers, we know what we are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SWEET! Of course this could complicate your new "Pants off, fan on" philosophy....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! Cool! I didn't know about your weight loss...you look fab, of course!

    ReplyDelete