Sunday, April 4, 2010

Warning! Boring Self-Evaluative Post to come!

Yesterday, at 6pm Korea Standard Time (or something like that) was a very auspicious occasion. Exactly one month ago, my plane landed on the runway in Seoul Incheon International Airport. Exactly one month ago, I started my Korean adventure.

Alot has happened since then - alot. It doesn't seem like it's been one month; it seems at once so much longer and so much shorter than that. It feels like I've been here practically a lifetime; yet only a few days. I've had dramas; computers and teaching; translation and scheduling. But overall it's been a great experience here. I've started to make some cool friends from places I'd never imagined I'd count friends. From Korea and South Africa to folks from back home in the US - even another Okie!

I've had some great adventures with these people too, visiting Seoul and playing what was either petit golf or very large croquet in Dongtan. Noraebang and traditional Korean dinners followed by American movies. Foreigner gatherings tons of friends and long walks around Osan by myself - it seems like I've done so much.

And yet I've got quite alot to do. I want to see the temples of the countryside and the museums of Seoul. I want to have more Korean dinners and find some great clubs to visit. I want to hike the mountains of Gangnam and visit the beaches of Jeollanam-do. The best part is I know I'll get there, and I'm so excited for what's to come.

As for teaching, I finally feel like I'm getting the hang of it. It started out rough - being in a class with thirty students who really have no idea what you're saying is mildly terrifying, to say the least. But this week went pretty darn well. I had my Friday classes which can be the most trying, but my lessons actually worked - teaching the youngest kids a song about opposites got them up and dancing - actively participating in the lesson. For the next class, we had a good time learning Simon Says and simple commands, and then my last class of the day had a great time with my scavenger hunt to teach them some/any and how to ask for things.

Overall, this month has been very up for me. And with my ARC coming this week - and a bank account, internet, and mobile phone soon to follow - things are looking great for next month. I know there will be downs just as there are ups, but you know what? I'm ready.

Bring it, Korea.

1 comment:

  1. A great piece. You found a part of yourself in DC and more is hidden in Korea. You will enjoy the discoveries.

    ReplyDelete