Thursday, April 22, 2010

And now I'm oriented!

Part the First

Hello all my dear readers! I have so much to tell you about! First, though, let me apologize for the lack of recent updates. These things happen when you're busy. I know it must have been a very trying time for you all, attempting to suffer through your quotidian lives without my updates, but I am glad you were strong enough to soldier on.

So let's see...when we last spoke, my children were actively cleaning class and using some impressive teamwork to get things done. Since then, I really haven't been in class, so not much news there. OH!
I did go into Seoul last weekend, and completely failed to take any pictures (I have come to the conclusion that my camera is just too crappy for words, and I will need to purchase a new one as soon as possible, probably after my next paycheck. Fortunately, I'm in the right country to do so). So here: make do with some of my various friends'.
Our first stop: Yongsan electronics mall. This is possibly the biggest geek haven in all the world. In just the I'Park mall alone, there are floors upon floors of electronic gadgets, from cell phones to cameras, to hardware and the Nintendo Wii. The most beautiful part of it is the top floor of this place, the "Electronic Sports Stadium". It's not an arcade, not really...it's in fact a stadium where people gather together to watch two guys playing Starcraft or whatever. So basically it's like being in Jacob and Joe's room in college, only with a huge audience and it's actually broadcast on the teevee. Awesomely dynamic.


After our little nerd break, we decided to continue the dork vibe, but with a slightly different tack. We headed downtown to the Sejong Performing Arts Center because I wanted to get some culture, and there was an exhibit of Steve McCurry photography on display. It featured, of course, the haunting and iconic Afghan Girl, a visually stunning photograph. I believe McCurry is at his best when he is taking portraits. There is no one else I've seen who can capture humanity on film like this man can...it's quite amazing. If you ever get a chance, I would absolutely recommend checking some of his work out. For those of you in South Korea who have not yet seen his work, the exhibit runs through the end of May, and is 8000W for adults.


We decided to take a little break and hang out in the warm (ish) sunshine in Gwanghwamun park near the Sejong PAC. Sorry for the awkward angle. (You will probably live, though)


And here we are standing at the statue of King Sejong himself, the man who not only set down the Hangul alphabet, but also apparently invented astronomy. The statue is a likeness of him personally bringing forth the science of astronomy from the heavens.

Following our little respite, we headed over to the very hip Hongdae area. It's the neighborhood around Hongik University, and is well known for being filled with the Korean equivalents of hipsters, trendsters, and scenesters. It was a pretty cool area, one I would like to explore when I am not quite so tired. Or trying to corral such a large group of 20-somethings (there were like 10 of us). We ate at a very pleasant Indian restaurant (following our Thai lunch, naturally) and then left to grab a beer or two before embarking on the long journey home.

You can see how excited I am to get on the metro for about an hour and a half (not catching an express train is really quite awful).

Yikes. This is turning into something rather longer than I had planned. Stay tuned for Part II, in which I spend three days out in the boonies learning how to teach...

No comments:

Post a Comment