Monday, July 12, 2010

Sixth Grade Girls are SO MEAN

On Wednesdays we wear pink.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that there is no group of human beings on the planet worse than 6th Grade Girls. They are snotty, catty, and generally just the WORST the world over. This is no less true in 2010 South Korea than it was in 1997 America (for those of you playing the home edition, this would indeed be the year your narrator was himself in sixth grade). 

We all had That Girl in sixth grade. The one who loved to make our lives miserable. Even if you yourself were that girl, I am willing to bet a not-insignificant amount of money that you had someone who was That Girl to you. You know who I'm talking about. The one who knew EXACTLY the right thing to say to shatter your already-fragile tween confidence. The one who could wither you with just a single glance. The one who, in short, was just this side of Satan himself (though I suspect she was even worse). 

Some of these girls grew up and became well-adjusted members of society; some of them ended up on the Real Housewives of the Orange County/New York City/Atlanta/New Jersey/Washington, DC. That is neither here nor there, though. I wonder how many of us considered the impact on our teachers of these meanest of girls? Not many, I would imagine - I know I definitely did not. But now here I am, 12 years later, forced to consider that very issue. Why? Because now I'm in their shoes - I have the distinct displeasure of teaching Sixth Grade Girls.

"Now wait a minute!" you should rightly be saying. "Aren't you like twice their age and size?"

Of course I am, you twit! But haven't you been listening? That doesn't matter! There is nothing anyone can do against the power of the Sixth Grade Girl! Those of you who know me personally are probably thinking "But Nolen, you're basically a Sixth Grade Girl on the inside," but that's the point - it doesn't matter. You could be the strongest person in the world, whether it is emotionally, physically, or mentally, and they will STILL be able to ruin you at a moment's notice. There is a particular group in one of my sixth grade classes with whom I have been doing battle since very early on in the semester. They will come into my class, sit together at a table, and spend the entire class texting or talking to each other. At first, I tried to be nice about it, asking them to put their phones away. This was ignored, or worse, actually listened to for about five minutes before they took their phones right back out. I separated them to keep them from talking to each other, but somehow they find a way to spend all of class being disruptive as a group. Some sort of weird mind link, I don't even know. They're probably Cylons.

Sixth Grade Girls.

The worst, though, are the looks. I made the mistake one day of actually punishing one of the girls (making her stand in the corner), and now instead of ignoring me, they are actively being mean. "How?" you again ask, incredulous. "You are ONCE AGAIN like 2x their size, age, and probable mental capacity."

Silly reader. It is The Gaze. You know, the snarling, sneering look that only Sixth Grade Girls are able to give. The look that cuts down Popes and Presidents. The. Look.
It sees all. It destroys all.

Any request, instruction, or command I give is met with this withering glance. And there's nothing I can do about it. I've tried pleading, cajoling, buttering up, and punishing. Nothing works. I am trapped in the snare of the Sixth Grade Girl Look, and there is nothing I can do to escape it. Ugh. The worst part of it all is that it makes me feel just like that whiny 13 year old I was when last the Sixth Grade Girls and I encountered. I just want to stamp my feet and shout "BUT I'M 25!! I SHOULDN'T FEEL LIKE THIS ANYMORE!!"


But that, folks, is the special power of the 13 year old girl. And that is why they must be stopped.


And that's how Regina George died. No I'm totally kidding.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a bunch of my 10th grade girls. I'm considering reporting them to the "Student Life" department for corporal punishment. But you know what might be worse? MESSING UP THEIR HAIR. Imma try that tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the power of middle schools girls. They are vile, conniving, backstabbing, treacherous, cunning, snake-eyed harlots. I remember being in grade school and having classes that were run by these girls. Teachers, when shot with the Gaze by one of these girls would sometimes try to shoot it back and ended up looking like they ate a particularly sour lemon. Others tried to ignore it, but cracked under pressure. And the weakest literally burst in flames on the spot. There seems to be no respite from these miniature Medusas. If movies like Mean Girls have taught us anything though it's that the only effective method for dealing with these girls is by taking them down a peg and teaching them some humility. When I see a girl over abusing a boy I declare loudly that they must love each other. That one you've got to be careful about. If you know the boy has low self-esteem, the undue attention might not be good for him. I take girls mp3s and cell phones and play with them. I used to pretend to make calls to America but they caught on to that one pretty quick so I might make real calls to Korea. Taking pictures of them taking pictures of themselves is hilarious to me. Be creative. The last thing you want to do though is act demure around these girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest taking up the phones and requiring a parent to get it back ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. fuck you 6th grade girls are fine.. there only sixth graders for one fucking year shut your fucking asshole mouth

    ReplyDelete