Friday, October 15, 2010

To Shanghai or not to Shanghai?

This right here is the question. photo via
As some of you might already know, yesterday, I was offered a teaching position in Shanghai, China. The job is with a company that will for now remain nameless, and will be essentially equivalent to hagwon jobs here in Korea - that is, I will work mostly afternoons/evenings, and during the day on Saturday and Sunday. I will, of course, have two consecutive days off each week (Monday and Tuesday at most branches). The schedule will change in the summers and winters during Chinese public school holidays (much like it does for Korean hagwons) to support more intensive classes for the students. The classes will be smaller, with students of a more similar language ability than what I'm teaching now in public school. The job looks pretty good on paper - the pay is super competitive for China - but I'm still undecided about whether or not to take it. That's where you come in, blog! Here we go:

  • On the one hand, I miss my friends and family, a lot. And I really feel like I should be starting grad school sooner rather than later.
  • On the other hand, this job in China would give me seriously good experience that would help any application to grad school and potentially the Foreign Service (the career goal I have been working toward since basically high school)
  • On the other other hand, I'm starting to let Korea get under my skin. If I'm feeling this way 7.5 months in, can I really hack it for another year?
  • On the other other other hand (this is getting really handsy...), if I can't hack two years away from my friends and family, I SERIOUSLY  need to reconsider this whole "Foreign Service Officer" career path...
  • On the other other other other hand, this place offers FREE MANDARIN LESSONS, which is probably the most important language to learn today (with the debatable exception of Arabic)
  • On the other other other other other hand (seriously this is getting ridiculous) hagwon jobs are NOTORIOUSLY painful and generally unpleasant here in Korea...what makes me think that this one will be any different?
  • On the other other other other other OTHER hand, did I mention free Mandarin lessons? And isn't all of this just stuff I can put up with until my time comes, knowing that it will be really good for me (character-building and all that) in the long run?
As you can see, I've got quite a lot to think about. It's becoming this gigantic, handsy monster, and I could really use some honest opinions. What would you do if you were in this situation? Would you take the leap? Or would you get the career officially started by going for a masters? Halp! (he said because it is 2006 apparently)

5 comments:

  1. I'd vote for 1) Shanghai, with getting a Masters stateside as a second place. If Korea is driving you insane, why stay? If you're unhappy, its not worth it.

    Good luck!
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say definitely leave Korea. I mean, the Fallins and Jill will be gone, so what do you really have left??
    I have a friend that does the equivalent of Hagwon (I think they call it bushiban or something like that) in Taiwan and loves it. The only downfall away from Korea is the rent situation. Mandarin is SUPER important in the international business world right now, as you mentioned and it would benefit you greatly to go in with some experience with the language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have to honestly evaluate what your long-term prospects are from two standpoints: what you want to do, and what makes the most sense for you from a financial standpoint. While I don't know the specifics of either situation - except to say that you've got a love/hate infatuation with the FS and that you graduated from one of the most expensive private colleges in the country - those two things have to be taken into account. There's no question that learning Mandarin would be very fruitful, certainly moreso than learning Korean; at the same time, however, who thought that learning Japanese in the 1950s or 1960s would be useful in the the 1970s-on? But also consider the drop in salary you're likely to take - and I imagine you will take one. What is the rent situation like?

    Perhaps another option would be Taipei, or somewhere else in the ROC. If you're up for working a lot of hours (figure 30-35 teaching hours a week), then you can get paid reasonably well in Taiwan and save/pay off debt there at a similar pace as you would in Korea...though there is still something of a dropoff.

    http://www.hess.com.tw/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good opportunity. I would decide what is best for your future career as you know how competitive things have become in the business world. Anything to make you stand out like a shining star to someone choosing from a slush pile of applicants is a plus. You've had a wonderful experience and could gain other great experiences. On the other hand, if you feel that your education and experiences already make you a shining star above all others, we miss you back home and are anxious to see you.

    You will always be a shining star to us but are here to support you (via blog) no matter where you are.

    Good luck with your decision.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. SHAAAAANGHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIII! That is all.

    p.s. Lurve and kisses.

    ReplyDelete